Wanna guest post on Practically Functional? Awesome, I’d love to have you!
Whether you have a guest post already written, or you just have a great idea you are thinking about sharing, you can find everything you need to know about guest posting at Practically Functional in the following guidelines!
One quick note: I offer guest posts on Practically Functional as a way to build up the DIY and craft community, share new ideas, and introduce my readers to other fabulous bloggers out there! If you have a great project, post, or idea that you think my readers will love, submit it below! If you want a post published on Practically Functional for marketing purposes, you’re on the wrong page! Head over to the Sponsorship page to learn more about sponsored posts.
- Your guest post should keep with the spirit of Practically Functional. Mouse over the categories in the navigation bar under my header (DIY/Crafts, Lifestyle, Organization, and Cooking); if your guest post fits within any of the categories that drop down in those menus, you’re probably good!
- If you have another topic in mind that you think Practically Functional readers would enjoy, by all means let me know! I’d love to see some brand new ideas, as long as they’re a good fit!
- Posts must be original content. You may absolutely write a guest post inspired by something else you’ve seen online, but your project and your words must be your own, and not published anywhere else online previously. And if you were inspired by someone else, make sure you credit them properly!
- I highly encourage you to use short paragraphs, lists, and bullet points; it makes your post easier to read.
- Please do your best to use good grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- I reserve the right to suggest changes or make minor edits to your post. But I will run any suggestions or changes by you before publishing your post so that you have a chance to review them!
Link Requirements and Policies:
- You may include links in your guest post, as long as they are relevant and valid.
- Don’t forget to include a short bio or introduction to yourself/your blog in your guest post! Your bio can be anywhere in the post (beginning, middle, end), and feel free to include a picture of yourself or your blog button, and a link back to your site.
- Double check your links before submitting your post. I will remove any non-working links or any links that are irrelevant to your post.
- Affiliate links are not permitted, no matter how relevant.
- Any submissions whose purpose is solely to promote a website, company, or product will not be accepted as a guest post. If you would like a post published on Practically Functional for marketing purposes, check out the Sponsorship page for more details about sponsored posts.
- Images help grab people’s attention, so I recommend you have at least one in your post!
- If the images you use are not your own, please make sure you have permission to use them in a post, and make sure they are properly credited.
- If your guest post is published on Practically Functional, I ask that you refrain from republishing it elsewhere (your own site or as a guest post on another blog) for at least 14 days.
- Search engines are picky about duplicated content, so if you do republish your guest post elsewhere after two weeks, please change it so that the text is not exactly the same as the text published here on Practically Functional.
- If you use sub-headings in your post, please use H3 or H4 tags.
- Please send me your posts in HTML format. I know HTML formatting can vary from blog to blog, so I will double-check all posts before publishing them to make sure there are proper line breaks between paragraphs, etc.
- If you are including images, make sure to include them as image tags within the HTML of your post.
If you have already written a guest post that fits within these guidelines, you can fill out the form below to send it to me! If you have an idea for a guest post, but the post itself isn’t written yet, I’d love to hear about it! If it sounds like it will work, I’ll get in touch with you and we can take the next steps together.
Submitting your guest post does not necessarily mean it will be published. I will review your post, and if it’s a good fit for my readers, I’ll do my best to get in touch within 2 weeks! If your post is not accepted for publication, feel free to submit it to another blog at that time. Or, we can work together to make it a better fit for publication on Practically Functional!
Unless I put out a call for submissions (e.g. if I’m out of town or featuring a bunch of posts on a certain topic), I publish a maximum of one guest post per week. Depending on how many posts are in the queue, it could be several weeks or months until I have room to publish your post. Usually I am able to pre-schedule posts. This means I can usually let you know the exact date your post will be published, at least a week in advance. But blogging can be pretty fluid and time-sensitive (we all know how crazy it gets around the holidays!), so please bear with me! No matter what, I will let you know at least two days in advance.
If you want to submit a guest post or guest post idea, just fill out the form below!